Ankara Press Submissions Guidelines
Ankara Press was started in 2015 as the imprint of Cassava Republic Press devoted to publishing romance by Black writers. We recognise that Black writers are writing different genres that are not just romance or literary fiction, so with this relaunch of the imprint, we have decided to embrace all these different genres which include: romance, women's fiction, commercial non-fiction, fantasy, horror, mystery, thriller and science fiction. We are actively seeking full-length submissions from Black writers especially those with underrepresented stories regarding age, disability, gender identity, national origin, class, religion, sex and sexual orientation.
We are seeking novels in the following sub-genres of commercial fiction
. Women's Fiction
. Commercial Non-fiction
· Fantasy & Sci-Fi
General Submission Guidelines
· Please don’t send us your first draft. Revise and proofread your manuscript thoroughly before submitting it for consideration, making sure it is the best version you get it. Correct any spelling and grammar mistakes.
· In your query letter, please tell us your ambition and marketing plan for the book if we accept your submission, let us know if you have a website and include links to your social media. (A query letter is an introductory one-page letter that tells an editor something about the story, something about the writer, their plan for the book and why Ankara Press should publish their book.).
· New authors as well as established/bestselling authors are welcome to submit proposal packages (query letter, synopsis, and a full manuscript).
§ (Example - 02.09.09.Yinka.Allen.ToPlayWithFire.doc)
· The subject of the email should be: AnkaraSubmission: [Author’s name], [book title]
§ Example: Ankara Submission: Yinka Allen, To Play With Fire.
· Romance in the style of Talia Hibbert, Alyssa Cole and Adrianna Herrer
. Women's Fiction in the style of Ernessa T Carter, Sophie Kinsella and Brit Bennett
. Non-fiction in the style of Samantha Irby, Janet Mock and Glory Edim
· Fantasy & Sci-fi in the style of Namina Forna, Tochi Onyebuchi and N.K. Jemisin
· Horror in the style of Ryan Douglass, L. Marie Wood and Helen Oyeyemi
· Thriller & Mystery in the style of Oyinkan Braithwaite, Zakiya Delila Harris and Pamela Harris.
We read everything that is submitted to us and aim to get back to you within 12 weeks. Due to the volume of submissions and the size of our team, we will not be able to give you a detailed response with editorial feedback. Our decisions are ultimately based on what we think will work for us commercially, how we can best position your book in the marketplace, and how collaborative you can be in the success of your own book.